The Making of a Quill and Ink

Dear Venturers,

Good afternoon! Today I found an old turkey feather (don’t ask why) in the back of my desk. I had the random motivation to stop my search for the paper I needed to do real and productive things, and make a quill pen. Then of course I needed ink. And so... here’s how to do it yourself! 



1. Remove the flaky stuff and the fluffy stuff

Before you cut the feather, you should consider how much “feather” you want to keep on the feather. I prefer the pretty aesthetic of an intact feather, but it’s up to you!Use your finger nail to peel off the membrane around the feather.


2. Cut the tip off

Use scissors to cut off the tip of the feather.


3. Take out the flaky stuff that’s inside

There’s a waxy sort of thing (it does have a proper name) inside the feather. I used a bobby pin because why not.


4. Cut diagonally 

Use scissors to cut of the side of the feather at a diagonal angle. 


5. Cut a small shelf-like thing and clean up the edges

I used these small wire cutter things that I wish I had found earlier to do this part. 



6. Cut a small slit in the top 

Use the wire clippers to cut a slit in the top part. This lets the ink flow. 



*Making the ink:*

7. Find some burned up wood

Find a lot of it. 


8. Grind it up

Put it in a bowl that you don’t mind ruining. Sprinkle a tad of water on it, then grind it down into a paste. A mortar and pestle would come in handy...



9. Making the actual ink

Find another bowl you can ruin, and a large square of fabric (this will also be ruined). Put the paste in the center of the square of fabric. Place the fabric over the bowl and pour some water on it. Squeeze the fabric to get all the charcoal bits in the water so that it becomes a dark black ink. 


10. Repeat for desired darkness
Keep repeating step nine (except don’t use fresh water, keep re-using the darkened water) until you have the desired color. Test the ink in between a few “squeezes” to see how dark (or how concentrated) it is. 

All done! Apparently there is a learning curve to getting used to using a quill pen. I will be practicing! 






Venturing in the Prior is on Pinterest! 

Comments

Post a Comment

How does this relate to you? What did you think?

Popular Post

My First Post and Portfolio

My 1860’s Corset (With Measurements)