The Makings of an 18th Century Cap

Dear Blog, 

Greetings! As we venture into the past today (in my very first post!), I'd like to talk about  how I made, or, am making, my 18th century cap. 

The history:

In the 18th century, and way before and after, it was very common for women to have some sort of usually white cap. This could go under another hat such as a, "pancake hat" (the proper name is a bergere hat), or by itself. I wont go too far into detail because I want to talk about the pattern, and I have just shared all my current knowledge on the matter ;)...

Here is an example of the cap by itself: 


and another...
And under a Bergere....



And here is another example, but on a richer woman:


And to add in some examples other than 1700 styles, here are a few more: (these two are from the 1800's being sold as antiques)


 And these are earlier versions...


And then there's this monstrosity... :/

The style:
And so, I began to narrow down the styles.The first step is always to look at reliable sources such as fashion plates, paintings, and well-informed reenactors who have already gone through heaps of information for you. I came up with this certain style:



I really loved the knife pleats around the edge, but *warning*  this takes a TON of fabric to do!!! Ha! I wasn't anticipating this...
The Pattern:
I like to use these really huge sheets of paper for packaging things to draw up patterns on. I'll get my measuring tape and draw the the shapes and then cut them out. I ended up with this: 
(don't mind my inaccurate fabric)
The circle will be pleated (you can gather this, but my history with gathering is not very good) until it fits around your head.

Of course the “shorter strip” is actually the longer one because it’s pleated. It should run the whole length of the other strip (which goes between the circle and the ruffle) but I ran out of fabric and have to add more...

Here are the dimensions to make your own: (I didn't bother measuring the the ruffle because it is so lang and mine is not long enough. That measurement will be based on how large you want your cap to be. The width is 2 1/2 inches.)




'
This is roughly what it will look like when it's all done:



I will post an update when it's all done. Good luck with your sewing adventures! :D

 
Venturing in the Prior is on Pinterest! Look it up!








Comments

Popular Post

My First Post and Portfolio

My 1860’s Corset (With Measurements)

The Making of a Quill and Ink