Undergarments You Don’t Need Patterns For


Dear Venturers,
Good evening! Today I would like to talk about some 18th Century undergarments, why you don't need patterns for most of them, and instructions for making them. 

Stays:
Please, please, please buy a pattern!!!

Shifts:
Shifts are surprisingly easy to make. Here's how I made mine... 
  • fold your white linen in half and cut out a rectangle (long enough to reach from your shoulders to below your knee) with the top end (one of the short ends) on the fold. 
  • cut a semi-circle into the center of the folded edge (this will be your neck hole)

  • cut an elongated triangle and two more rectangles (sleeve length) from the linen
  • unfold the main body of the shift and sew in the pieces as shown

  • fold it over again and sew the remaining seams

Petticoats:
Again, it's not to bad. Here's how I did mine... 
  • You'll  need to start with a very long rectangle of fabric that is as wide as your waist to floor measurement (don't worry about seam allowance because you'll want it off the ground by the time you're done)

  • fold it in half and sew the edges together but leave about a foot open at the top

  • Cut along the folded edge to match the sewn edge. The picture says to cut both sides, but you don't need to if you didn't sew all the way up 

  • You should now have what looks like the makings of an apron-front skirt
  • Add some pleats (remember, the sides will overlap when you tie it together)

https://venturingintheprior.blogspot.com/2021/05/how-to-make-perfect-pleats.html

  • Add a waistband and some ties for each corner. I usually make ties out of the leftover fabric, or, if I'm feeling fancy, I'll use cotton tape. 




A note on the shift pattern, the drawstrings are absolutely not nescasary! I've seen plenty of shifts with and without them. My shift does not have any drawstrings. Another note for the shift is the absence of the gussets under the arm. When I made this pattern I was not aware that those were still around in the 18th century so I just never added them in! If you want to put them in on yours, then here is another informational photo...


Comments

Popular Post

My First Post and Portfolio

My 1860’s Corset (With Measurements)

The Making of a Quill and Ink