A Perfect Row of Pleats

 Dear Venturers,

Good evening! Today I was finishing up my 18th. Century cap and created a new tool...


If you sew and are ever on the internet, the you’ve probably been bombarded with the newest sewing hack of using a fork to make perfectly uniform knife pleats. So I gave in one day and tried it. The result was BEAUTIFUL! I love to see a neat row of pleats all looking identical. It’s just such a pretty sight, and far outweighs gathering. So as I was making my cap, I reached for the fork that I now keep in my sewing kit (😁), but I didn’t want pleats that large. I decided that I needed a smaller fork to make a smaller pleat. And so, my newest creation was born... I tried meshing the words pleat and fork, but all I could come up with was, “pork”, and, “fleat”... or well...


I used round nose pliers and some jewelry wire that I have. It’s  essentially a smaller sized fork with only two points (because it’s for pleats and not food...). To make the shape, I made a V-shape out of the wire. Then I bent the bottom halves of the wire ends outwards (away from each other), and then downwards (but at a different point that was farther out from the first bend). The I twisted the top part and created a loop out of the twisted part. This part help you turn the fabric over more easily. 






Comments

Popular Post

My First Post and Portfolio

My 1860’s Corset (With Measurements)

The Making of a Quill and Ink