Sewist vs Polyester Silk: 1920’s Party Attire

 Dear Venturers,

I have decided to embark on my third 1920’s dress. I hadn’t planned to make another 20’s outfit since my second project went so well, (despite the maraschino incident…) but I found myself with suitable fabric and so here we are. 

“How did you come across this fabric,” you ask? Well the thrift store which I usually frequent happened to have *four* curtain panels of this very pretty green flowered silky stuff. Mind you, curtains are generally lined with white cotton, so double the fabric! This amounts to about 20 yards of “silk” and 20 yards of cotton… all for about 10 dollars. Steal! Thrift stores are my go-to for fabric, especially when I’m not making formal wear. Side note- formal wear sucks because fancy fabrics suck and draping sucks and beadwork sucks. 

Anyways… like a crow, I took my new treasure to my fellow costuming friends to show it off and brag about how much yardage I got for so little money. One of them (the experienced one who is a fountain of information) opened with, “omg where did you get that beautiful 1920’s fabric?? You must be making an evening gown!!” And so naturally I ditched my 1890’s Christmas gown plans and started work on a 20’s party dress… kinda. The fabric actually sat in a closet for a few months beforehand but we don’t talk about that. 

So all that to say, I am currently fighting with “silk” that seems to stretch and twist in all directions in hopes of creating something beautiful. 

Let’s start with historical examples:


This one is my main inspiration for the construction of the garment. I like the two-piece style as it cuts back on some of the complicated-ness. 

I decided I wanted to do a sailor-inspired dress and so I took inspiration from the collar of this one. 

More two-piece styles. 

Top middle, for obvious reasons


Skirt/blouse combo again. 

I love the cute sporty looks of these. Mainly the second from the right because of its cute sailor collar. 

I then opened my dressmaking journal/sketchbook and made this:

I do apologise if it is not understandable or if you just simply find my drawing skills to be offensive. 


I decided against gathering the blouse on the bottom. Most of the blouse construction is based on an actual US Navy enlisted dress uniform (21st century in case you're wondering). 

I’ll update this post when I finish the dress… which might take awhile…

 Until then,
 











Comments

Popular Post

My First Post and Portfolio

My 1860’s Corset (With Measurements)

The Making of a Quill and Ink